Friday, April 16, 2010

Misc. post 1

I’ve been away from this environment for a long time but this feeling is back again. The end of the semester, and all this knowledge and experience from the courses buzzing around in your mind is now trying to come out on paper and in presentations and exams.
I’m re-reading Delpit and Rodriguez for our service learning project and then the readings this past week; Anyon and Oakes. They all apply so well to the experience I’m having in my service learning time at Asa Messer Elementary Annex and for some reason it still surprises and upsets me. And am I suppose to feel this way?
The Jean Anyon article really got me mad. And if you think about it – She begins at Working class - can we think that there should be a class below that? What kind of education are those children receiving and how is it being delivered? I feel really naïve about a lot in a profession I am excited about entering.
Realizing we didn’t spend a lot of time on Anyon and Oakes in class and I feel my comments always seem to be against the grain or not fully explained - In our class I talk quite a bit but my comments don’t fully express my values, beliefs and ideals and I’m not certain how they are perceived at times. I wanted to post.
From Anyon’s article I had a Middle Class School experience at a public school in Cumberland, RI. It was typical of her description which really kind of proved to me that if she has that pegged so well she can’t be so off base with the others. The quote “the research proves…” we’ve been hearing a lot in class lately. I don’t always want to agree with what the research proves. If I did I wouldn’t have a daughter for one, or a niece or nephew. My grandmother would have died two times by now and my 2nd cousin would have died approximately 1 year after her birth and she is now 7. I could bore you with many more personal examples but I won’t…So much for research.
But… again my experience at Asa Messer has really been a great one for me in the way of culture, privilege, and power in how it relates to the readings of Delpit, Anyon and Rodriguez.
I have only experienced morning lessons in this class for 9 mornings and it is always the same lesson. There is obviously a routine that is followed everyday and a structure that is followed. I know I have no real stance to comment other than to say when I read Anyon’s research findings that apply to the working class schools it was exactly what I was experiencing each and every morning at Asa Messer. Direct Instruction by the teacher. No asking of questions to check for understanding and no questions from the students either. They were given steps and procedures. They were passed out materials they needed only. When they sat at they groups at tables it was obviously by ability. Certain tables sat quietly together and were doing their work. Other tables needed assistance with everything they did. I was directed to assist with two tables and they were the same two table and same students every week.
Anyon hit it right on the nose…I’m very sorry to say.

No comments: